Print out and save to refer to during the year!
- The first day of class is Aug. 27th and the last day is April 22nd. Our scheduled breaks are: October 15th, November 26th, December 18th–January 6th, and March 11th. If we have to cancel classes for any reason, we will use these days to make up the missed classes. The first semester will end on December 17th; the second semester will begin on January 7th.
- IF THEY ARE NOT IN CLASS, STUDENTS MUST BE 12 OR OLDER TO BE LEFT WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.
- Please encourage your students and other students to follow the rules of expected behavior. If you see a problem or a potential problem, please feel free to speak to the student about it. Our desire is to maintain a high standard of behavior at Veritas, and we need your help to ensure that is achieved.
- Students must be able to govern themselves. They must be able to work well in an environment that has a minimal number of rules and a minimum of oversight to enforce those rules.
- Students are expected to show respect and consideration for their instructors and their peers.
- Students must respect parent monitors (Assistants) and obey their instructions.
- Address instructors as Mr. or Mrs./Ms. _________.
- Do not demean or ridicule fellow classmates.
- Come to class prepared with all your assignments completed. If you know you will miss class, contact your instructor beforehand about assignments. If you are absent for reason of illness, contact your instructor before your next class for assignments.
- Arrive to class on time.
- Take care of Antioch Community Church’s property and Veritas equipment.
- No running or loud talking in the building.
- Stay in the fellowship hall wing of the building. No eating in carpeted areas.
- Please clean up after yourself. We endeavor to leave the facilities cleaner than we found them. Picking up snack wrappers and papers shortens our clean-up time at the end of the day.
- Enjoy your time together with other home-educated students and your instructors.
LEAVING THE PREMISES
- We cannot be held responsible for students’ comings and goings during Veritas hours. There are just too many students for us to try to keep track of who is allowed to go where.
- It is our policy that Veritas students will remain on the premises while classes are in session. Please make sure your student knows this. If students drive themselves, they can come and go under your jurisdiction, but may not take another student off the premises unless permission is given to an Assistant by a parent of that student.
INFRACTIONS OF BEHAVIOR POLICY
- If an Assistant or an Instructor sees an inappropriate attitude or behavior he or she will talk to the student about it.
- If the student continues to demonstrate an inappropriate attitude or behavior, the Instructor, an Assistant, or a Board member will speak with the parents about it.
- If the problem continues, the Advisory Board or Instructor will meet with the parents and the student to discuss the problem.
- If the student does not change his/her attitude or behavior he/she will be suspended or expelled, depending on the severity of the situation.
- The above steps are general guidelines. However, in the judgment of the Instructor, Assistant, or the Board, alternative steps may be taken if deemed necessary.
- If you know you will miss class, contact your instructor beforehand for your assignments. Individual instructors may have further policies regarding the acceptance of late assignments.
- Our dress guidelines are established to be honoring to the Lord and one another, and to lessen distractions in our studies. Long pants, capris, modest dresses and skirts that are knee length or longer, and Bermuda length shorts are acceptable. Unacceptable clothing for Veritas includes: shorts or skirts that are shorter than Bermuda length, tops that show midriff or cleavage, spaghetti strap tops/dresses worn without a covering, and offensive slogans on clothing. Please wear neat clothing without holes or ragged edges.
FIRST DAY OF CLASSES
- Parents, please try to make arrangements to sit in on your student’s classes for the first day. This will give you an idea of the instructor’s expectations of your student. Parents are welcome to sit in the back of the classrooms during the year as long as there is room for the students. (No siblings in the classrooms, please.)
- Because of limited space, friends and guests will not be able to attend classes unless they are prospective students and you notify the instructor for permission before Wednesday.
EVALUATIONS AND GRADES
- Evaluations of the student’s work in and for class will be passed out to the students in class at the end of the year and/or semester. These may include a final grade for class work.
- Parents are responsible to award grades and credit for high school students’ transcripts, making sure they have completed a full credit. Parents may add work to what is done in class and average the grades. Please keep abreast of assignments and grades given during the year on quizzes, tests, and homework.
- The fellowship hall is always open for studying or quiet talking.
- The library is available for no talking studying. If you need to talk, you may study in the fellowship hall, but please use your ‘inside voice’. Please understand if this is not the perfect place for quiet study.
VERITAS GENERAL INFORMATION
- Please write on your calendar all dates and deadlines.
- Please read all information you receive from Veritas in e-mails and from your student’s classes and keep the information to refer to during the year. It is very important for you to read carefully and thoroughly all the information sent to you. Most of your questions will be answered in the material sent out.
- Please use the side entrance for Veritas.
- You are welcome to check on the fellowship hall table for items of interest and sometimes free stuff. Any Lost & Found items will be in the L & F box!
LOST & FOUND
- Please mark your student’s name on ALL books, notebooks, lunch boxes, coats, etc., that your student brings to Veritas.
- We do a very thorough clean-up of the facility after classes on Wednesdays and store all items left by students in our Lost & Found box in the closet off the fellowship hall. Parents, please help your students by reminding them to check for their things BEFORE leaving Veritas. Please check the Lost & Found box on a regular basis. Unidentified, unclaimed items will be disposed of at the end of each semester.
- Students are responsible to arrive to class on time.
- Classes held in the sanctuary must be especially careful to keep it clean. ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD OR DRINKS ARE ALLOWED. Do not put your feet up on the back of the pews or take hymnals or papers out of the pews.
- Veritas will cancel classes if the Alamance-Burlington School System cancels or delays school due to snow or ice (not usually for just very low temperatures).
TUITION & FEES
TUITION PAYMENTS ARE DUE THE FIRST WEDNESDAY OF EVERY MONTH TO YOUR INSTRUCTORS.
PLEASE ADD A $15.00 LATE FEE IF YOUR TUITION IS PAID AFTER THE 10TH.
Each instructor has the right to cancel a class if there are not enough students enrolled. The instructor is paid in eight monthly payments to enable families to afford as many classes as possible for their children. You are also welcome to pay the entire fee at once or pay by semester (at the beginning of each semester).
You may bring your payments to your instructors on the first Wednesday of the month, or mail them to your instructor’s address by the 10th.
DROP CLASS FEE: Each teacher has the prerogative to charge a drop fee of $50 if a student drops his or her class after the first two weeks.
Signed and dated: Parent____________________________________________